Advanced Youth Training
Due to COVID 19 restrictions we will not be able to offer a formal ‘Race team’. Instead we are changing the format this year in order to continue providing the quality advanced instruction. This advanced instruction will prepare the youth sailor with advanced sailing skills needed to race, when organized racing and training is allowed.
Optimist Advanced Training
There has never been a better time for young sailors to be an optimist Sailor. Recognized as the largest active one design class in the World, the Optimist is the perfect platform to introduce sailors to competitive sailing. Many say – “if you can sail an Optimist fast, you can sail any boat fast”.
The International Optimist Dinghy Association (IODA) has carefully structured the class creating class divisions based on experience and age – learn more here.
Advanced Optimist Qualifications
- Sailors should have completed at least CANSail level 2. Sailors are expected to demonstrate their confidence as most training sessions are undertaken on Lake Huron.
- Sailors shall be at least 9 years old.
- Advanced Optimists are supplied. (we have 8 available)
- Sailors must accept responsibility for all equipment while in their care.
- Sailors are encouraged to become members of the Canadian Optimist Dinghy Association to assist with class development.
Youth Advanced Training
Ideal for the experienced sailor wishing advanced training, the program will advance the sailor’s skills in their chosen class of boat. Sailors are encouraged to use their own boats. We do have available a limited number of single and double handed dinghies available for use for those without personal boats (Byte’s and 420’s) Instruction will include boat tuning, tactics & strategy, advanced boat handling, fitness & nutrition. It is not mandatory to attend regattas if the student desires to participate in the advanced training only. Spring Training for those planning to attend regattas will start weekends in late April or early May, weather dependent.
Youth Advanced Training Qualifications
- Sailors should have completed Bronze Sail Level 4, CANSail 4.
- Sailors shall be at least 14 years old.
- Sailors are expected to be members of their National Class Associations.
- Sailors should recognize the importance of representing SYC and comply at all times with the Programs Code of Conduct.