Sail Training Registration, Information and Policies
Half Day Programs: 8:30am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 4:30pm
Session 1 July 4 – July 29*
Session 2 Aug 2 – Aug 26**
Full Day Programs: 8:30am to 4:30pm
Session 1 July 4 – July 15*
Session 2 July 18 – July 29
Session 3 Aug 2 – Aug 12**
Session 4 Aug 15 – Aug 26
* No Classes July 9th for LTS programs due to Sailfest Regatta
**No classes August 1 2022 – Civic Holiday
Note: Early drop off (7:30am) and late pickup (5:30pm) is available. See registration form for fee structure.
Preferred non contact payment is E-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org or credit card (VISA/MasterCard). If paying by credit card please contact the SYC office to complete the transaction with your CCV number. (the 3 digit number on the back of your card). For security reasons please do not put the CCV number on your application form.
Alternatively payment by cheque or cash can be accepted at the SYC office. Postdated cheques will not be accepted.
Enrollment is not guaranteed until payment has been processed.
Please open and download the application forms. If you are having difficulties downloading the forms, try ‘right click’ on the link then ‘download’ or ‘save as’ (depending on your browser).
- Youth Introductory Programs – Wet Feet
- Youth Introductory Programs – Taste – Schedule and forms COMING SOON!
- Learn To Sail Program – CANSail
- Learn To Race Program – Race Team
- Adult Family Dinghy Lessons
- Adult Keel Boat lessons
- Adult Private Lessons – Please contact us
What to bring
Sailing by its nature is an outdoor sport and students are subject to the elements. Therefore it is important that students dress weather appropriate for their comfort and safety. Students will be both in and on the water and in the sun for a good portion of the day. As sailing can be a physical activity, being properly prepared will ensure that it is also a fun activity.
Students should at a minimum have:
- Bathing suit and towel
- Refillable water bottle (ideally with a carabiner or lanyard to attach to the boat)
- Extra dry clothes
- A long sleeve shirt (not cotton) is recommended (for warmth and for sun protection)
- On rainy days – rain jacket and extra layer (fleece) of clothing
Students are required to have close toed shoes and a life jacket approved by either Transport Canada, Canadian Coast Guard, or Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
Students can either bring their own lunch or purchase lunch from the club ‘Galley’. Students are encouraged to bring a healthy ‘trash free’ lunch, packed in individual containers and clearly marked with the students name.
Students should label their belongings and valuables should not be brought to class. It is very easy to lose items overboard and Sarnia Sail Training cannot be held responsible for valuables left in the building/yard or on the docks. Students are asked to not use electronic devices during lessons. Please leave your devices at home where they are safe or in your bags.
Students will be expected to follow all safety protocols regarding COVID 19. This is for the safety of the student, our staff and the community in general. We will be communicating these rules to all students and publishing them on this site once we have guidance for any changes from last year. We take our direction from local and provincial authorities. Failure to adhere to these rules will result in students being sent home as per our Student Conduct policy.
There will be no disclosure of personal information ‘without consent’, except as may be required or permitted by law, as necessary for the safety of the individual or others in the case of an emergency.
Sarnia Sail Training operates entirely from the fees received from enrollments and donations/fundraising. The employment of our instructors is based upon the number of students that are enrolled. Please review our refund policy to avoid any possible concerns.
Notice of cancellation must be made at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the enrolled session to receive a full refund.
- Notice of cancellation after that time will result in a 50% refund.
- After the session begins, refunds will only be considered for students that have sustained an injury or who have become ill either of which restricts the student from continuing. These refunds are prorated.
- All refunds are subject to a $40 cancellation fee.
Sarnia Sail Training is committed to providing our students with a safe, respectful and inclusive environment to learn. Our goal is to promote learning, self-confidence, teamwork and a love for sailing. We have a zero tolerance policy towards bullying, disrespectful and inappropriate behaviour. We expect students to respect the rights and dignity of fellow students and Coaches at all times.
Examples of unacceptable behavior:
- Using profanity, vulgarity or obscenities
- Stealing or damaging property (personal or SST property)
- Refusal to participate in activities or cooperate with staff
- Endangering the health and safety of students and/or staff
- Use of illicit drugs, alcohol or tobacco or sexual conduct of any kind
- Teasing, making fun or bullying of other students or staff
- Fighting of any kind
Enrollment fees are non-refundable if a student is sent home for disciplinary reasons. Physical violence or bullying toward another student or staff will result in an immediate dismissal from the program.